New Roof

So the house has a new roof, new faux chimney for venting, and a two new skylights for the Conservatory off the dining room.

The roof has a look of shake, in that it has dimension instead of being a flat asphalt shingle.  We love it.  What this also gives us is a better roof that’s better at managing heat and cold.

Phase one of the 100 Year Project is done.  Now on to phase two, some energy upgrades.

Here’s some pictures of the finished project.

wpid-20150610_180024.jpg  wpid-20150607_092359.jpg


Big Work at the house – HOuse Leveling

So we’ve had a great deal of work going on. With this post I will just focus on the house leveling that occurred at the beginning of May.


We had the Valentine Corporation come in and help us.  A good friend James works for them and made sure we did things right, and sensible.  For $3300 we got the dining room leveled where it was sinking at the transition to what we call the Conservatory.  James and I went under the house and finally figured out what had happened.

When the house was built, the builders notched the floor joists that went from the eastern most beam across the foundation wall and on to the outside of the of the house for the portion of the room that is cantilevered our by about 2 feet.  It’s at this notch where the wall began to fail, and they had to go into the basement and put in some other peers and a secondary beam to support the load.  Well the peers that are there aren’t that deep and so they sank when there was some water intrusion there.

So James had his coworker Levi come in, and jack up the beam to a level position in the house and put in new posts.

We had lots of cracks, but we have a level floor!! Yeah!!

The best part is that we can now rehang the swinging kitchen door!

Here’s a few pics.

Cracks in the plaster

Cracks in the plaster


Levi getting it level

Levi getting it level

Earthquake Fixing – House Leveling

So we have to get some repairs done to the house thanks to the August 2014 Napa Earthquake (6.0).  The big one is a new roof.  the chimney in the back and in the Library wobbled so we have cracked tile all around those two.

Due to the fact that the tile is Cement and Asbestos material, we also have to have that abated prior to the new roof.

The other item that we’re going to have done is the removal of the back chimney and replacing it with a vent housing that will look just like the existing chimney.  This is where we’re going to run vents for the hot water heater (currently venting through the chimney) and the furnace.  This will allow us to eventually swap the hot water heater out for a new on-demand hot water heater- which means NEVER running out of hot water!  Yeah!

So before all that can happen, we need to get some issues dealt with regarding the foundation and house leveling.  During the earthquake the shaking was pretty violent, but luckily, the key parts of the foundation are good.  However, there’s still areas where the house is significantly out of level due to sinking that has been occurring over time.  Also there’s a section at the front of the house where some idiot cut a beam that runs across the front of the house.  SO, to fix the sagging up there, we have to get that fixed too….  SIGH…

Well, luckily we have a loan from the SBA as part of the FEMA actions after the earthquake.

Here’s pictures of the piers and such we need fixed to make the house level.  I’ve also posted a video of the area –